Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chicken Caesar Salad

To start make the croutons and the salad dressing and put to one side.

Instructions.

Really really quick fake croutons.
  • Take two slices of shop bought bread chopped roughly into cubes. You can use stale bread or fresh. I keep my bread in the freezer as I can never eat a loaf quick enough! It defrosts in the microwave on full power for about 20 seconds per slice.
  • I like to add a few squashed cloves of garlic to my pan to flavour the croutons. You could alternatively add garlic salt/garlic powder/dried herbs or fresh herbs.
  • Put the pan on the stovetop and turn the heat onto medium wait for the pan to warm up a little add the oil or butter and then add the bread. Move the bread around straight away so as to make sure it is evenly coated with the fat. Keep moving the bread in the pan until it is golden brown. Add some more oil or butter if the pan starts smoking. Only a little bit of oil though, you don't want soggy croutons!
  • Add to any salad or soup just before serving.
  • These can be stored in a an airtight container for up to a week.

Low fat homemade caesar dressing.

I know essentially that most salad dressings are probably wheat and gluten free. However you would be surprised where wheat and gluten can and will be sneaked into the most innocent of food stuffs. I have found over the years that if make my own food and sauces then I know exactly what ingredients are in my food. It also means a lot less time reading labels in the shop as as well! Then I know there is no danger of accidentally eating some wheat or gluten and suffering the terrible consequences.

I have found that when you make your own salad dressings it takes minutes, costs less and wait for it, tastes better.

Instructions.
  • Put the yoghurt or buttermilk into a bowl.
  • Slowly add the lemon juice according to your taste.
  • Finely chop or crush a garlic clove and add to mixture.
  • Season with salt and pepper and a glug of good olive oil.
  • Adjust seasoning according to taste. I like mine with a real lemony kick and lots of pepper.
  • I also like to sneak in a cheeky splash of anchovy sauce by Geo Watkins.
  • No one will ever guess low in fat.
Chicken caesar salad.



Instructions.
  • Chop and wash the lettuce, pat dry.
  • Fry bacon until crispy. Leave to cool. Crumble with your hands or chop roughly with a knife.
  • Cut the chicken into strips and fry for 7-10 mins. I cook mine in a big wok and keep the chicken moving all the time. If you are grilling the cooking time may be a bit longer. Cook the chicken until the juices run clear and there is a slight browning. Try to make sure it is not dry and overcooked.
  • Coat the lettuce in the homemade dressing. Add the chicken, anchovies, bacon or bacobits, shaved parmesan and last but not least croutons.
  • This is how I like mine but you could keep it simple and just have the chicken, lettuce, croutons and parmesan with the dressing.
Eat and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment